Conference and Marketplace of ideas
"Sustainable tourism for rural development"
15-17 february 2017. Bergamo, Italy
Rural Tourism is already an important part of the European tourism sector. But many assets and resources for recreation in rural areas are yet not used, or remain undetected. This conference is a step to broaden the view and unleash the full rural potential for leisure through a holistic approach that includes hospitality, food, gastronomy, culture, active tourism, and any other relevant aspects.
It is a first-ever event that brings together stakeholders from two of the most relevant sectors for the European economy to set common ground for practical cooperation and synergies:
- Tourism represents around 10% of European GDP, and is one of the most resilient sectors of EU economy with excellent perspectives of growth.
- 92% of EU territory is rural or peri-urban, providing a wide scope of resources and public goods for 743 million habitants in Europe.
In plenary and workgroups, open and dynamic discussion will take place around four topics:
- VITALITY for Smart and competitive rural areas.
- VALUE CHAINS and how to manage them in benefit of rural areas
- THE RURAL EXPERIENCE
On Thursday 16th, each of the above is discussed in a moderated panel of experts and best practice cases from Europe and Italy. Further 40-50 examples will be presented in a Marketplace of Ideas in the foyer, where participants shall vote for the three most inspiring cases. On Friday 17th, the four topics are discussed in smaller work groups , while a fifth group will deal with possible joint projects. The results are presented at the closure session where also the winners of the contest from the Marketplace of Ideas shall be announced.
The formal programme is complemented by social events and visit to the Cittá Alta of Bergamo. Participants at the Marketplace of Ideas have the opportunity to present their experience to the general public over the weekend at the AgroTravel & SlowTravel Exhibition .
The organisation is shared between EuroGites-European Federation of Rural Tourism and MER-Mouvement Européen de Ruralité, in the context of the UNWTO “2017 Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development” and the implementation of the Cork 2.0 Declaration . It counts with support of the UNWTO-World Tourism Organisation, ENRD-European Network of Rural Development, COPA-COGECA, EDEN Network, Regione Lombardia, and Ente Fiera Promoberg, amongst others.
Languages: simultaneous translation between Italian and English.
French can be spoken only.
WHAT IS THE OBJECTIVE?
Raise awareness about the actual and future potential for sustainable tourism and recreation in rural areas and initiate practical steps to put them into practice by:
- Highlighting the wide range of rural resources that can be put into value through recreation and tourism
- Presenting innovative, inspirational, “out-of-the-box”, or even disruptive ideas
- Detecting new potentials for profitable business around them
- Discussing different views and perspectives
- Exchanging views and practical experience across Europe and worldwide
- Establishing new professional and business contacts in the field
- Setting up partnerships and consortia for future joint projects
WHO SHOULD PARTICIPATE?
- Decision makers at local, regional, and national levels from the private and public sector
- Rural entrepreneurs with interest in opening new fields and markets for their activity
- Research and training institutions
- Organisations and companies looking for partners to launch new projects or businesses
- …. and in general, anybody involved and committed with lively and vital rural areas in Europe and elsewhere in the world
- Afternoon: set-up of panels for the Marketplace of Ideas at venue.
- Evening: reception of participants of the Conference.
Full day: plenary sessions
See details below
Morning: plenary sessions
parallel workgroups (5)
See details below
Noon: Results of workgroups, contest, conclusions, closur
Afternoon: individual meetings on arrangement
REGISTRATION FEES for international participants
* Members of EuroGites, MER, and practice cases
with poster display at the Marketplace of Ideas 150 EUR
* Members of organisations related with tourism
and rural development 195 EUR
* Other participants in general 250 EUR
* Education and Research Institutions 125 EUR
This fee includes the local transfers, congress participation, documentation, full social program and meals from Wednesday evening to Friday afternoon, guided tour to Bergamo Città Alta.
Accommodation is on account of participants, alternative options will be suggested at preferential rates at two levels (2- and 4-star-hotels) in due course. Rates start at 40 EUR/sgl room incl breakfast
PARTICIPATION AT THE FAIR
Registered participants have free access to the fair “AgriTravel & SlowTravel Expo” that begins right after the end of our conference. This includes various opportunities for professional exchange (seminars, workshops, etc.) and business contacts B2B and B2C through a special match-making service of the fair.
Special conditions for participants at the conference apply for individual exhibition space at this fair, as follows:
- Space with individual exhibition panel for posters, 150 EUR
shared desk, chair
- Proper individual stand 3 x 3 mts with desks, 350 EUR
- chairs, electricity, and at least 5 panels for decoration
For more details, you can download the offer here
Set-up of panels for the Marketplace of Ideas at venue
Panels can be set up at the venue: Ente Fiera Promoberg starting at 15:00 until 19:30
Visit to Cittá Alta
Meeting point M1.lle Storie & Sapori Restaurant ( V.le Papa Giovanni XXIII, 18- Bergamo)
Reception of participants of the Conference. Welcome Cocktail
At M1.lle Storie & Sapori Restaurant ( V.le Papa Giovanni XXIII, 18- Bergamo)
Shuttle for Fiera Bergamo
Departure from Bus Station/ Urban Center Bergamo
Inauguration and greetings from the hosts
Luigi Trigona – General Secretary Ente Fiera Promoberg
European Commission – DG GROW –Tourism Unit
Video message by Ms Iuliana Aluas – acting head of unit
MER – European Countryside Movement. Mr. Gérard Peltre - President
EuroGites – European Federation of Rural Tourism. Mr. Jan Tjosaas – President
Keynotes for the whole event
Vitality: Smart and competitive rural areas
Valorisation of local assets and social dynamics: how can recreation and tourism support the generation of new economies and opportunities that benefit rural areas as a whole. We look not only at rural economy, but the full set of sustainability including social, cultural, and environmental aspects such as
• food production
• human capital, infrastructure, image
• cultural and natural assets (Natura 2000 network etc.)
• gender opportunities
MODERATOR: Clare Cooper www.commonculture.org.uk
PANELLIST: Beauchard, François. ENOS / MER www.nature-sports.eu
PANELLIST: Murtas, Donnatella. International Terraced Landscape Association
CASE: Hayas, Pal. Taste of Success: Kozard, Hungary www.cserhatalja.eu
CASE: Morandi, Alessandra.Az. Dosso Badino de Brescia www.agriturismodossobadino.it
Include guided tour to the posters or cases at the Marketplace of Ideas related with topic 1
Value chains and how to manage them in benefit of rural areas
Value chains combining rural resources, tourism, and circular economy: how to optimize the effects of external visitors to rural areas. This includes local cooperation, branding, post-visit sales, or promotion - but also the management of potentially negative impacts such as resource consumption or waste. Core terms are
• Rural-urban linkages
• Sales channels
• Cooperation of structures: CLLD/Leader, DMO, professional organisations, etc.
• Circular economy
MODERATOR: Arunas Svitojus www.dvarai.lt/index.php
PANELLIST: Domenico Mastrogiovanni. COPA www.copa-cogeca.be
PANELLIST: Miralda Cortinovis. EDEN Network youredenexperience.com
CASE: Sabina Ramovic. Sabina Ramovic www.ramstravel.co.me
CASE: Massimo Scalet – Agritur “Delaip dei Pape” (IT) www.agriturdalaip.it/
Break-the-Ice Coffee 2
guided tour to the posters or cases at the Marketplace of Ideas related with topic 2+3, networking, animation
The “Rural Experience”
The concept of image, expectations and experience: what does a visitor expect from a visit to the countryside? - how can we know these expectations, define segments, and then address and communicate with the actual and potential customer?
• demand patterns, trends, segments
• cultural identity and heritage
• gastronomy and food – from the field to the table
• active tourism (equestrian, outdoor sports, … )
MODERATOR: José Maria de Juan. EARTH earth-net.eu
PANELLIST: Fairhurst, Tim -ETOA- www.etoa.org
PANELLIST: Mauro Lattuada – Più Turismo (IT) www.piuturismo.it
CASE: Prot, Sarah. AirBnB www.maisonsdefrance.byairbnb.com
CASE: Andrea Spinelli – Programma Spighe Verdi (IT)www.confagricoltura.it/ita/press-room_anno-2016/luglio-1/assegnate-le-spighe-verdi-2016.php
Time to reflect and vote.
Guided tour to the posters or cases related with topic 3. If you already made up your mind about your favourite idea at the Marketplace, this is the moment to vote.
Departure from hotels to Conference Dinner at Villa Delizia
http://www.agriturismovilladelizia.com Departure from Bus Station/ Urban Center Bergamo
Shuttle for Fiera Bergamo
Departure from Bus Station/ Urban Center Bergamo
Digitalization is changing the concepts and channels for communication between providers and clients. It also offers new opportunities for long-term sales connections for local produce. How to make best use of this for organisation, management, development, and marketing of rural areas based on tourism and recreation?
• Consumer based product design and feedback
• Sharing Economy
• Communication: Social Media, Blogs, Web 3.0
• Direct sales and supply of farm produce to urban consumers
• Knowledge transfer - E-Learning in rural areas
MODERATOR : Klaus Ehrlich. EuroGites
PANELLIST: Colum Joyce. Connemara Programme www.connemaraprogramme.com
CASE: Rémi THORET - FITE (GIS promotion of equestrian routes) www.ffe.com/tourisme/Gites-et-Chemins/Presentation-du-projet-SIG
CASE:Antonio Lattanzi – Agrileisuretime (IT) www.agrileisuretime.com
Rural Development and multi-functionality of the rural territory
Mr Umberto Selmi – ISMEA Istituto de Servizi per il Mercato Agrícolo Alimentare
Coffee – Last occasion to vote!
The last opportunity to vote for the three most challenging and inspiring cases amongst the Marketplace of Ideas (poster displays) in the foyer
Work groups shall deal in more detail with core strategic aspects of sustainable tourism and rural development. Results should build on the discussions of the previous day, and focus on practical action to be implemented in the future. Each of them will be moderated by representatives from the partner organisations with most experience in the topic.
Group 1: Vitality. Moderation: Clare Cooper
Group 2: Value chains. Moderation: Arunas Svitojus
Group 3: The Rural Experience. Moderation: José Maria de Juan
Group 4: Digitalization. Moderation: Colum Joyce
Group 5: Find a partner for projects. Moderation: Asnate Ziemele
Presentation of results from Work Groups and Winners of the contest at the Marketplace of Ideas
Closure of the Conference and opening of Fair
Italian authorities (national and regional) Partner organisations Patronage entities
The full conference documentation will be made available to participants after the event online (with password) and on USB pendrive (tbc).
No printed version is planned, but the full set of electronic documentation will be ISBN registered as electronic publication (tbc).
MARKETPLACE OF IDEAS
“MARKETPLACE OF IDEAS”- PRACTICAL CASES CONTEST
- The “Marketplace of Ideas” is an opportunity for innovative, out-of-the-box, or challenging initiatives on sustainable tourism in rural areas from Italy, Europe, and the rest of the world to showcase their experience. We look for consolidated examples that work in reality, but do not exclude ongoing projects if they open new perspectives. Introduce your case online HERE or use the WORD template – we will contact you for technical details.
- Cases exposed at this Marketplace of Ideas enjoy a reduced Conference Fee. They shall present their experience in the foyer of the conference with a 1×2 mts poster displays free of cost. These displays will also be placed at the following B2C Fair “AgroTravel & SlowTravel Expo” over the week-end, generating direct impact and possible clients in the future.
- A contest to be voted by the conference participants will select three cases that they consider most inspiring. The winners will be presented during the Conclusions of the conference, and receive refund of their participation cost (maximum 500 EUR).
- Selection by the Programme Committee of two comprehensive cases in each area (one from Italy, one from Europe) for plenary sessions on Thursday 16 . These selected cases will be invited “all cost paid”, but can NOT participate in the contest.
- Electronic-only presentation (i.e. without participation at the Marketplace of Ideas) is possible, following a standard template (PowerPoint or PDF) that assures a common structure, and thus allows for comparing all cases along the same criteria. These cases will be included in the conference documentation, but cannot participate in the contest.
12th-February-2017 for poster displays, or only electronic
for the four sessions in plenary will be invited on private notice. However, if you have an innovative, out-of-the-box, or disruptive view on recreation in rural areas and would like to be part of a panel, we invite to propose yourself at email@example.com
Additional to the practical cases, we welcome more comprehensive studies, essays, or articles. They will not be presented in the plenary sessions, but may be used in the WorkGroups on Friday morning, and will be also included in the conference documentation.
Such papers can be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org They should comply with the usual requirements for scientific publications. In case of doubts, please contact the Programme Committee for more detailed technical specifications.
These prices are for participants to the conference “Sustainable tourism for rural Development” and Agri Travel & Slow Travel only.
If you need other information, send an email to email@example.com
|HOTEL SAN GIORGIO***
Via San Giorgio, 10
|Double room for single use with breakfast included||€ 55.00 + 3,50 (tourist tax)
|Double room with breakfast included||€ 65.00+ 3,00 (tourist tax )
Piazzale Guglielmo Marconi 11,
|Double room for single use with breakfast included||€ 78,00 + 3,50 (tourist tax )|
|HOTEL NH CENTRO****
Via Pietro Paleocapa, 1/G,
|Double room for single use with breakfast included||€ 70.00 + 3,50 (tourist tax )|
|Double room with breakfast included||€80.00+ 3,00 (tourist tax)
FREE bus shuttle from the city centre (Piazza Giacomo Matteotti and Railway Station) to the venue at Fiera Bergamo will be available for registered participants at set times.
- Ente Fiera Promoberg
- 15-17 february 2017